1. How do I get started? Call Sensei Judy or just stop by and ring the bell. She likes to meet you first and then schedule an appointment for a 45 minute orentation. Usually Sundays at 1PM. After the orientation, you can decide if you want to join our Dojo.
2. Do you sell uniforms? $25 for kids $35 for adults. Free patch Shorin-Ryu circle patch with Uniform.
3. Will I slow everyone down because I am a beginner? No. We love beginners. You won’t be a beginner for long. Once you join, Sensei Judy will work with you for 3 private sessions and you will feel like you are one of us by your very first group class.
4. Do you mix kids with adults? Famlies are welcome to train together and we have a seperate deck for the little guys…if need be. Currently our youngest students are age 13 and up. We have a special program for little dragons age 5 thru 9-ish
5. Do you teach self-defense? We teach you develop “eyes in the back of your head’ to avoid ever using your karate….only if your back is against the wall for that one….hopefully never time. We do however do pre-arranged fighting to understand distance and use clean technique. We work with our partner and equipment is not used. We do not play the game of got you last!
6. Am I too old? Only if you think you are. You can start at any age currently our oldest student is 70.
7. Do I have to sit on the floor? Yes. We kneel on the deck but we have a special “say za” bench for anyone who is uncomfortable in the before and after one minute meditation pose.
8. When will I know if this is a match for me? Within the first few minutes of meeting Sensei Judy you should know but she likes you to slow down and decide after your orientation.
9. Who do I make the check out to? Checks are made out to: Okinawan Karate Dojo, inc. We do not accept credit cards and we have no contracts. All business goes through Sensei Barnhart, Sensei Judy’s husband.
10. How long will it take to get my black belt? It’s a journey. 3 to 5 years but a lot of wonderful things happen along the way.